A post for my fit vegetarian friends! If you’ve be wondering how to make sure you’re well nourished before and after your workouts, read on. Making sure you’re eating correctly before and after your sweat sesh allows your body reap all of the workout benefits, so don’t miss out! I included lots of examples and recipes for exploration. Please comment below to let me know if you have other favorites, or what you’ve tried and enjoyed.
Pre-Workout Snack Suggestions:
Try to have these 30-90 minutes prior to your activity.
- Get hydrated! Drink water.
- Fruit – Bananas are great for this! What aren’t banana’s great for though? Other fruits are good also. Go with what’s in season, if possible.
- Whole Wheat Bread with Jelly – My personal favorite is Ezekiel Bread with Bonne Maman preserves. I’ll be honest, I don’t know the difference between jelly and preserves… but I do know that cherry Bonne Maman is my jam! 😉
- Protein Shake or Green Smoothie – My go-to morning and pre-workout green smoothie fills me up and gives me lasting energy! Here’s my favorite recipe:
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Scoop Vega Protein Powder
- 1 Banana
- 1 Teaspoon Flax Seed
- 1 Teaspoon Chia
- 3-4 Apple Slices
- 1-2 Handfuls of Kale or Spinach
- Veggie Salad – Mixing up some leafy greens like kale, spinach, arugula etc, with extra veggies like bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and carrots, is a light way to nosh before the gym. Be sure to use a light dressing (think oil and vinegar, not light Ranch). Try to skip anything heavy or potent in flavor like onions or hot peppers, which probably won’t feel great during the workout. Optional – add a hard boiled egg for protein.
Ideally eat within 30 minutes of your workout, or at least within two hours. Get your protein in!
- Avocado Black Bean Wrap – I always keep a few cans of organic black beans and corn tortilla’s around the house because they are such a quick and easy snack. You can add all sorts of veggies (I love green peppers), cheeses, and of course, avocado! Check out this recipe from Woman’s Day if you need a place to start.
- Greek Yogurt with Homemade Granola – I really love this recipe by Elizabeth Rider. It’s simple and delicious!
- Apple Slices and Almond Butter – I feel like a kid again when I eat this as a snack. But it’s a timeless and still tasty classic!
- Protein Balls – I’ve tried these no-bake energy balls from Eat. Drink. Love. and thought they were amazing.
- Homemade Trail Mix – Here are 21 options for you to sample from Greatist. Just try to stay away from, or go easy on the sweet and savory additions.
- Protein Shakes – These are my favorite to play around with and sample new recipes. Here’s one of my go-to shake recipes:
- 1 Teaspoon Chia (more if desired)
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein Powder (Vega Protein Powder)
- 1 Teaspoon Flaxseed (more if desired)
- 1 Cup Almond Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Almond Butter
- 1 Banana (Frozen Optional)
- Black Bean, Egg white and Cheese Omelet – Break out the organic black beans again! This recipe is pretty self-explanatory. You can even take an extra egg white and create a cheap and easy face mask while you cook! Simply use a brush or your fingers to apply (staying away from eyes and lips), and let dry for 15 minutes. I know it sounds gross, but it tightens your pores like you wouldn’t believe!
- Pita and Hummus or Hummus Toast – I’ve started making my own hummus and it’s actually very quick and easy! You can get creative with the flavors, and feel good knowing you’re skipping any artificial additions or other weird substances. Here’s an aptly named Super Easy Hummus Recipe from AllRecipes.
- Almond Butter & Jelly on Whole Wheat Bread – Again, I love Ezekiel Bread. You can find it in the health foods, freezer section.
- Drink water or coconut water. Stay hydrated!
In closing, drink water! Infused water, plain water, ice water, hot lemon water, coconut water, Emergen-C water, any water you can get. Drink up before and after your workout to stay hydrated, energized, maintain healthy skin, and keep your kidneys and bowels happy!